September 30, 2008

Butternut Squash Soup


This was so yummy! I ate all of the leftovers by myself. Just thinking about it makes me want to make it again.
Ingredients:
1 butternut squash
1/2 c chopped onion (I used 2 T dried minced onion)
2 cans chicken stock (4 cups)
1/2 t marjoram
1/4 t ground black pepper
1/8 t cayenne pepper
8 oz cream cheese.
Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Brush with olive oil and place cut side down on a baking sheet and roast in oven 30 minutes at 350. Once roasted, remove from skin. You can do this several days in advance it that is easier.
Blend squash and cream cheese in blender or food processor until smooth.
Place in large pot and use whisk to combine with remaining ingredients, bring to a simmer, not a full boil and serve.
If you want this soup to be truly smooth, I would also blend the onions with the squash. You could even blend the whole lot up in your blender if you wanted!
Delicious! We served it with fresh bread and it was an awesome meal. I totally loved it. I think you could leave the cream cheese out, it just wouldn't be as rich.

1 comment:

Cinnamon said...

I tried your recipe and all I have to say it YUMMY!! :-)

Half of our kiddos enjoyed it and half dipped only their fingertip in and decided not to try anymore.

~Cinnamon