May 5, 2008

Multigrain Pancake Mix

I have two favorite pancake recipes, this is one. I found it here.

This is my version:
10 cups of whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour (find this at the health food store - make sure you get the flour, the actual buckwheat is like putting little rocks in your pancakes - don't ask how I know this)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 cups oatmeal (put it in a blender or food processor until it is powder)
2 cups buttermilk powder
5 TBL baking Powder
2 TBL baking Soda
1 cup sugar
2 TBL salt
1 cup whole powdered eggs

Don't be afraid of the buckwheat! It is so good for you - see here. Mix it up all ingredients in a big bowl with whisk. Put it in a container or ziploc freezer bag, store in the freezer. No need to ever buy bisquik again. - and this is so much healthier and doesn't have that nasty aftertaste! Write the instructions below on the outside of the bag so they are handy.

To make pancakes:
1 cup pancake mix
2 TBL vegetable oil
Enough water to get the consistancy you want (around 2/3 cup)
Cook on a hot griddle as usual.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Heidi’s Changes (1/2 Batch)
I just want to be able to measure the grains straight into my Grinder. I also found the whole batch to make more than was manageable for me so the amount of grains shown here will make a half batch.

3 1/3 c wheat
½ c buckwheat
2 Tbs Corn (popcorn)
1 c rolled oats (blend in blender)
1 c Buttermilk powder
2 ½ Tbs Baking powder
1 Tbs Baking soda
½ c Sugar or Sucanat
1 Tbs Salt
½ c Whole powdered eggs


I have also substituted ground flax seeds for the buckwheat and it turned out great.

Heidi said...

Umm, I hope it is obvious, but just in case, I did not add the buttermilk powder or anything below it on the list to the grinder. When I added flax seed I ground them in a coffee grinder.