- The protein found in buckwheat contains the eight essential amino acids -making it a complete protein.
- Buckwheat is rich in B vitamins as well as phosphorus, magnesium, iron, zinc, copper and manganese.
- Buckwheat is a good oil source of Alpha-Linolenic Acid, which is one of the two essential fatty acids we must have to be healthy.
- Buckwheat is high in fiber. A single cup of cooked buckwheat groats contains over 4 grams of dietary fiber.
- Buckwheat contains a rich supply of flavonoids.
- Buckwheat lowers glucose levels and is beneficial for managing diabetes.
- Buckwheat has been found to lower blood pressure and reduce cholesterol.
- Buckwheat is a fruit seed and is a gluten-free alternative to grains. Buckwheat is not wheat at all.
May 5, 2008
All About Buckwheat
Although buckwheat has many grain-like characteristics, it is from an entirely different botanical family, and is actually a fruit. Since buckwheat is unrelated to the classic cereal grains, those who are allergic to wheat can usually tolerate buckwheat.
Make these pancakes and try it today!