August 10, 2009

Apricot Almond or Raspberry Almond Muffins/Bread



I've had a raspberry almond bread recipe that is one of my favorite quick bread recipes for over 15 years. I looked forward to raspberries every year just to make this bread. I have slowly been making it healthier, and this year I think I reached a point it is worth sharing. I also fixed the problem of how overly crumbly it was. I made it once this week with apricots, and the next day with Raspberries. It was great with both.

Ingredients:
2 c Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tbsp Fresh groudn Flax Seed
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 c yogurt
1/2 c milk (You can substitue 1 Tbsp lemon juice and 1 cup of rice milk for the yogurt and milk)
2 eggs (or an additional 2 tbsp flax mixed with 1/4 c water)
1/2 sugar
1/2 c coconut oil
3/4 c toasted almonds
1 c diced apricots or Raspberries, or fruit of your choice. I used fresh in both cases, but I can't see why dried fruit wouldn't work. I also nkow that frozen raspberries work well, just keep them frozen until you add them to the batter.

If you are using the milk and lemon juice option, mix them together and set aside.
If you are using the Flax and water in place of eggs, mis together and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix all dry ingredients together.
Melt coconut oil by placing in a bowl within a bowl of hot water.
Mix the coconut oil into the dry ingredients until it resembles wet sand.
Add the milk, yogurt, eggs and almond extract. Mix until evenly mixed and no dry pockets remain.
Gently fold in the nuts and fruit.
Makes 1 9x5 loaf or about 18 muffins
The muffins take about 20-25 minutes (Mine were perfect after 23).
The bread will take 50 minutes to just over an hour.
Bake until toothpick comes out clean.

If baking in loaf pan let cool ten minutes before inverting or it will fall apart. Both the muffins and the bread will firm up as they stand.


1 comment:

Mrs. Little Gray House said...

You made this for me once, and I'm pretty sure I would have eaten the whole loaf. Yummy. I can't wait to make it.