June 23, 2008

Rhubarb Pineapple Jam


This is not the healthiest thing I have made this year (But still healthier than others...) But it is delicious. I thought I would share as I found it easy to make. I happily had all of the ingredients on hand and liked that it didn't require pectin, which I didn't have, and did call for some things that desperately needed to be used from my food storage. (Jello??? Why did I buy so much Jello? My tastes sure have changed over the last few years.) It has a lot less sugar than most other jams I have seen recipes for, so if you have a Rhubarb plant and want to try a new recipe, this one is great.

Ingredients:
5 cups chopped Rhubarb
Zest from 1 Orange
8 oz can crushed Pineapple, undrained (I used chunks as that was what I had on hand, it worked fine)
2 1/2 c Sugar
1 3-oz package of Strawberry Jello (I used all no-name brands with great success)
  1. In large Sauce pan combine Rhubarb, pineapple, zest and sugar. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes stirring constantly. You want to use a big pot so that as it boils it doesn't pop all over you and everything else making a sticky mess. I also found that if I chopped the rhubarb coarse or fine it didn't matter at all, because you stir it for 30 minutes it pretty much breaks down. The finer you chop it the smoother the final product is, but even with 2 inch long pieces no one would call my final product lumpy.


  2. Cool 30 Minutes
  3. Add Jello to cooled mixture until dissolved.
  4. Put into 5 clean hot 8-oz jars and store in fridge for up to 1 month or in freezer for several months, or as long as it lasts.












No comments: